Scott Cantrell – Printmaker Interview
Scott Cantrell is a featured artist in our Second Annual Juried Show: Printmakers. Cantrell has three hand-enhanced lithographs in our show. Ides of Batman is displayed below. Learn more about the artist from the following interview:
1. Do you have a nickname? If so, what is it?
2. Where did you grow up?
3. Who was/is your biggest influence for your art?
My print work is completely motivated by Brant Schuller.
4. Who is your favorite artist and why?
Gerhard Richter. He is so versatile in his process, never allowing himself to be limited by social nor artistic expectations.
5. What color best describes you and why?
Gray, its more ranged then anyone gives it credit.
6. How would you describe your fashion style?
Buttoned up or comfortable.
7. What was the first piece you created/sold?
My first gallery show, in a small basement gallery, right out of college.
8. What’s integral to the work of an artist?
Daily practice, living with making as part of a common day.
9. What’s your favorite piece of artwork?
Gustav Klimt’s Death and Life
10. What is your dream project?
To sculpt a wooden cigar Indian, it has literally been a dream.
11. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given as an artist?
Do twice as much as anyone expects of you.